Tuesday, June 30, 2009

To Structure or not to Structure, that is the question


Church is a passion for me. I hope that's for the right reasons; I mean the way I read scripture it seems as though it's super important to Christ, to God. So I hope that my passions are for what He is passionate about in the church. For instance, I don't think God cares what color the carpet is, or if we even have carpet. But I know that He is passionate about two elements in the church, and these are not just the recipients of His passion but the essence of the church as well. Those two things being: our relating to Him, and our relating to others. I am, and want to stay, passionate about those parts of church.
Some wonderful lady sat by me at a wedding the other day, whom I have known previously, as she and her family had attended our church for a number of years. They had done some ministry in their life, and now are a part of another church. Although, I don't think they refer to it as a church, per se'. For them it's a gathering, a fellowship, a converging of like-minded believers who have shed the "weight" of the traditional church, and are living out their faith together in a more "organic" fashion.
Her comment to me on this particular sunny and breezy Sunday afternoon, at the wedding, was that she was "Quite refreshed." They had a writer (of some top selling christian books) come to visit them and he shared with them. He told them that what it is all really about is the true connections that you have with people that you really gel with. You know, the people you really feel a bond with. That's church. That's how Christ wants it. Anything else is built on a structure, and inherently, you are forced to invited people unnaturally to the structured organized thing, and it's not based on relationship as a foundation. "I just really like that kind of language," she mused, sincerely "when speaking about these kinds of things".
"Uh-huh," I said, not sure how to take it all right there in the middle of ties, dresses and hairspray. But I have reflected on this, and am ready to share my feelings now.

1. First, I like the aspect of the church being built on relationships. This part is positive. And honestly, you do have to see eye to eye on some level if you are going to "have" church together.
2. Next, I tried to be objective and think about what the Bible actually teaches about church. You know, I'm sure it would be somewhat if not a whole lot different today if we were to just start over and model it from the ground up. This is the beauty of young eyes and young visionaries who plant churches and do ministry with faith in God, and little else. But her statements don't echo much of what I recall the Bible teaching about the church. I like the Bible's language when speaking about these kinds of things.
3. Structure is really what the Bible speaks of, when it speaks of church. It's all the other stuff we get wrong, like the details, the dogmas and the delineations. But Jesus was pretty structured from what I see. He sends them out in pairs (no exceptions). They didn't pick their partner and best friend for this--Jesus picked the pairs for them, even when it was to put a Zealot with a Tax Collector. He gave structure when He told them that He'd show up even in the smallest meetings, as long as a few would gather in his name. He gave structured guidelines on disciplining one their own who had sinned and not been repentive. And He names Peter as the head of the thing for when He's gone.
And surely I don't have to go into the epistles to show that they are primarily about the structure. "when you gather..." / "if one of you restores a sinner..." / "An elder should have these qualifications..." / "therefore, if you have disputes, appoint judges..." / "don't forsake the assembling of yourselves...". Etcetera.
4. Some people are attracted to this new-ish version of church that seems to be free from the restraints and organizational restrictions and clutter that I seem to belong to. And it is good to try new things, mix it up a bit: like speaking first, then worship-Whoah! That would be crazy. Or just have a night to pray without a sermon. Okay, fine, I actually like thinking outside the box, but not the "box" that God sets up. Some of the structure keeps the nice looking summer hut from caving in during the rainy season. So innovate yes, eradicate, no.
5. It is always interesting to me that people who jump out of the "traditional" church end up having some of the same structures anyways. They meet at a location, usually they have a start time, and they usually do it on the same night of the week each week. Sounds organizational. They have some sort of worship, perhaps more artsy, but often involving music. Weird, I do that. And then someone shares. I like preaching, they like sharing, but really isn't this teaching the Bible and doesn't that make you kind of institutional? Even if you sit on a couch when you share?
6. Last comment is that I am okay with what they do if God is in it, but my fear is that if it's all comfortable and relational, how do they propose to obey the great commission? I'm sure they have a way, and I am ignorant, in that I haven't been to the Barn to see a service yet, but sometimes I feel an urgency to share Christ with the world. If they do, do they bring that person to their "gathering"? Who sends others out for missions, church planting, and ministry? Who approves ministry? If someone is in charge of making those decisions, does that border on control?

A well structured House of God will fail rarely. A loosely structured House may last only up to 18 months (direct quote from Frank Viola, who states that his vision of organic house gatherings don't last beyond this time frame). I want to see the Kingdom come. I want to have long term relationships. I want to minister with like-minded people, but also be forced to stick it out with some stinkers. I like the "multi-faceted wisdom of God" that is displayed when the differences amongst us is put aside as we gather around Christ as His church.

For through him we both have access in one Spirit to the Father. So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone, in whom the whole structure, being joined together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord. In him you also are being built together into a dwelling place for God by the Spirit.
Ephesians 2:18-22 (ESV)

0 comments:

Post a Comment